CATHSWAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Math:Key Curriculum

5 posters

Go down

Math:Key Curriculum Empty Math:Key Curriculum

Post  momoflotsakids Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:56 pm

I have used MCP for elementary grades math, it got us by our first years of homeschooling. We switched to Saxon like it until Algebra 1/2. We tried Key Curriculums Key To series and we really like it. My son is in 10th grade and I am just wondering if it will be enough because so far it seems that he's sailing on by easily so far.

We keep hearing great things about Teaching Textbooks, but the price is too high for our family to experiment with.

Does anyone else you Key Curriculum? What has been your experience?

http://www.keypress.com/

Thanks!

Have a blessed day!

Michelle

momoflotsakids

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Math:Key Curriculum Empty Re: Math:Key Curriculum

Post  momofeight Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:39 pm

I am also looking at math curriculums for this age, and just wanted to say Teaching Textbooks is less than this, when you consider the solutions, answer keys and cds that are necessary. Plus, Teaching Textbooks say they give you a month to use the books with a money-back guarantee. Just wanted to let you know.

momofeight

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Math:Key Curriculum Empty Teaching Textbooks/Key To Books

Post  dianndej Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:54 am

Hi!

I am a homeschooling mom and a math teacher. I am the Algebra and Geometry teacher for my sons' co-op. A few of the students who will be taking my Geometry class in the fall used Teaching Textbooks for Algebra. I administered a placement exam in June. The placement exam was similar to the final exam I gave to my students at the end of this year, only shorter. After grading the tests, I feel that the students who used TT all seem to be weak in certain topics that I normally cover in Algebra - radicals, graphing - to name a few. Please note that I have never actually seen the Teaching Textbooks program. I am just not that impressed based on my observations. BTW - The strongest student used the Abeka DVD. Talk about expensive!!!

I have used the Key To Books, but only for lower grades. I like the practice they provide. I should purchase the Algebra books for a "look see". I just have so many Algebra books...

Diann

dianndej

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Math:Key Curriculum Empty Key To series

Post  Barb W. Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:20 pm

I used the Key To series for decimals and for fractions. I felt as though they were quite easy compared to other books I had seen. My children found them very easy, too. Maybe it is the way it is presented and how they cover the info slowly for those subjects. They may be great -- it just seemed like the children weren't challenged very much. I haven't looked at the algebra set, though.

Barb W.

Barb W.

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  momoflotsakids Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:49 am

I researched the cost of Key Curriculums "Key To..." series of workbooks, answer keys, and reproducible test for grades 4-12. The total cost for everyting came out to about $250 total. So as far as cost goes, Key is really so much more affordable. Also considering that you can use the curriculum for grades 4-12...that kind of price would really go a long way for us Smile

We decided to just go with Key curriculum and buy Basic Math, Algegra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, and Calculus DVD series lectures by The Teaching Company.

http://www.teach12.com/teach12.asp

They have a 70% off sale on most of the high school math lectures and includes one workbook per course. I think that my money would be better spent if we go this route.

Thank you everyone for your input, much appriciated Very Happy

Michelle Briseno

momoflotsakids

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Catherine Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:51 pm

Hi,

I saw that you were discussing teaching textbooks. From what I've heard, teaching textbooks is about 1/2 year behind Saxon...therefore those who use it usually go onto higher books (e.g. calculus) and Saxon users stop at Algebra 2 or Advanced Math.

Catherine

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://www.sgrtheater.faithweb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down