CATHSWAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spec. Ed/ Spelling

+4
deb_bigda@comcast.net
technmom
gatun.cz
Monica Rahilly
8 posters

Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty Spec. Ed/ Spelling

Post  Monica Rahilly Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:14 am

[color=darkblue]Has anyone had any success with a spelling program for kids with dyslexia and short term memory issues? I'm also looking for resources to improve memory any suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you![/color]

Monica Rahilly

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty Re: Spec. Ed/ Spelling

Post  gatun.cz Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:23 am

I used sequential spelling with my daughter ( http://www.avko.org/sequentialspelling.html )
it really works for a variety of lds. God bless.
Nannette

gatun.cz

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty sequetual spelling

Post  technmom Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:29 pm

I've also used this with success with my sons with dyslexia

Pat

technmom

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty spec ed/ Spelling

Post  Monica Rahilly Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks for your feedback. I've just started using the Avco Sequential Spelling is this the one you are referring to?

Thanks,

Monica

Monica Rahilly

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty yes

Post  technmom Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:55 am

Yes that is it. I was trying to remember other things that helped. In my family the best thing was reading therapy from a trained therapist who used the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital Literacy program. I have three sons who went throug that. Audi Block is a good memory builder that you can do at home. Dyslexics will always struggle esp. with spelling. My husband still struggles with spelling but got much better after having to write many papers when he went for his MBA.

technmom

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty Reading program for children with dyslexia

Post  deb_bigda@comcast.net Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:05 am

ANother program that you may want to look into is the Lindamood Bell program. They teach spelling, reading and comprehension. This program is great for all students whether or not they have problems however it is specifically designed for students with dyslexia or other learning difficulties. It is not easy to learn as a parent to teach but you can go to workshops. It is not cheap either, but it is well worth the money. You can visit their website at lindamoodbell.com for more information. Good luck to you and your son!!

deb_bigda@comcast.net

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty Barton Reading and Spelling

Post  jmjprayforus Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:43 am

is making a HUGE difference in my dyslexic son. It's a tutor in a box (me). It's expensive, but you can sell one kit and use the money towards another. I tried Sequential Spelling and it worked during lessons, but afterwards- he just dropped it out of his brain. Look st some of her free web videos about dyslexia.
check out the www.brightsolutions.us site.
God bless!

jmjprayforus

Number of posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty thank you!

Post  Monica Rahilly Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:03 am

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. I am familiar with the LMB program and I know it is rated very high however the expense is enormous for me. Last I checked it was a few thousand dollars. I'll research the Barton system perhaps I can buy it used. Does anyone know if one program is rated higher than the other? Again many thanks to you all..

Monica Rahilly

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty Barton System

Post  katharrison Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:03 pm

My son is showing signs of mild dyslexia, and my sister in law is quite versed in the area of dyslexia as a schoool teacher. She highly recommends the Barton system (or any Orton-Gillingham based program). The problem is that the cost of the levels are so expensive, you could afford a private tutor for ALL subjects for what you pay for just the reading tutorial. She suggested "group" purchases and sharing the levels among one group. That is easier said than done in a homeschool setting. I also read that 100 Easy Lessons can be used for dyslexia.
I did see that the NC Chapter of National Dylexia Association is having their meeting for 2009 in Concord, NC. I plan on going to get some ideas there. Supposedly there are other Orton-Gillingham based programs out there, but I cannot find any used.
I will post the link for the Barton System here. http://www.bartonreading.com/sbarton.html

katharrison

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty Barton cost?

Post  jmjprayforus Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:32 pm

I have paid between 180.00 for the Levels 1 and 2
And around 250.00 for Levels 3 and 4 so far...
these levels last "around" 3 months or so depending upon where your child is...levels 1 and 2 will go faster...
A tutor around here costs about 75.00-100.00 per week... that's two times a week at THEIR facility
How much are tutors where you are??? Your sounds so much less expensive!
I have basically done my programs almost "free" as I have resold them for almost what I purchased them for at the beginning...
Darlene

jmjprayforus

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty Barton System in NC

Post  katharrison Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:15 pm

Darlene, I have not actually priced tutors in Cabarrus County, but I have read that Barton tutors are available. My husband and I noticed that the System holds it's value quite well on eBay and Amazon has a couple of used sets to sell, too. NOt much in the way of used products. Before we invest in the system level by level, I suppose it would make sense to get a definite diagosis, though the system can be used for all the kids after him, then sell it.
Any ideas on a CHEAP and quick diagnostic plan?
Concord, NC

katharrison

Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty hahaha...if you find one...

Post  jmjprayforus Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:45 am

Actually, I spoke with Susan Barton about testing and eval and my ds 11, IS dyslexic. You look through the list and there's no doubt. She said since we homeschool, why spend the money on an eval when if he ever attends school they'd want a more recent one...
Now n NC, as you know, they don't test for dyslexia...not even recognized- a bunch of it's symptoms are... I was considering getting him tested from a IDA recommended professional when I got rich to help me curtail a plan specifically for him. Not just Barton, but all life areas. Then again, I didn't want to overwhelm him either...
so far, Barton is what we do....I know we are attacking the main problem right now....spelling and fluency...I'll pick up the computer typing program for him and we do Big Brainz Math Attack for math times tables. I try to do hands on when I can and get audio tapes of various subjects, books when I see them.
We will move again next year, so if I were to get testing, I thought we'd go somewhere that we could keep in touch and get "therapy" as needed to overcome life's challenges for dyslexics.
My dd age 6 is probably dyslexic, too, so we started her immediately on the Sonday System I. I think we'll be able to avoid some of the bad habits ds picked up.
God bless,
Darlene

jmjprayforus

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty All About Spelling

Post  amyzkids Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:04 am

Has anyone used this? http://www.all-about-spelling.com/
I just had my son tested and they did not say he is dyslexic, but he is a "visual -spatial" learner. They recommended Orton-Gillingham and this program says it uses the Orton-Gillingham approach. It sounds like a cheaper way to go than through a tutor. But maybe having the training makes a difference? These comments have been very helpful. I would love to hear any more input.

amyzkids

Number of posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty Cost/Benefits of Barton

Post  CathMom96 Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:51 pm

We compared the cost of buying Barton to using a local Alphabetic Phonics tutor, and Barton was by far the cheaper option. I would definitely do your research before assuming that Barton is the more expensive option. It has been a lifesaver for both my son and me! He was two years behind in reading and he caught up to grade level in less than six months. His self-confidence has improved immensely and he now picks up books and reads for fun! Susan Barton provides amazing support for her tutors and she stands by her return policy. When my son finished level one in three days, she overnighted me level two and exchanged it for level one - and she paid the shipping! Her web site has a lot of good info. Just google "Susan Barton dyslexia" and you will find it.

CathMom96

Registration date : 2008-07-13

Back to top Go down

Spec. Ed/ Spelling Empty Re: Spec. Ed/ Spelling

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down