CATHSWAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confirmation

2 posters

Go down

Confirmation Empty Confirmation

Post  Catholicworks Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:31 pm

Dear Moms,
I was wondering how some of the homeschooling families in this group deal with Confirmation in their diocese. Do you put your children in the programs or has anyone tried writing their Bishop and getting their children confirmed separate from the CCD with your bishop allowing for the parents to prepare their child. And if the bishop allows you to prepare your child, then what age and do they suggest a curriculum for you to use. Cordially yours in Christ and Blessed Mother,
denise

Catholicworks

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-07-31

Back to top Go down

Confirmation Empty Confirmation

Post  just4books Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:24 am

Denise,

In our diocese, school children are typically confirmed when in 7th or 8th grade. Many of the pastors here allow homeschool parents to prepare their children, provided they all meet before Confirmation so that the pastor (or whomever he appoints) can 'quiz' the child to see if he/she has been adequately prepared. Any paperwork is submitted to the pastor. In the spring, many parishes hold their own Confirmation outside of the one sponsored by the diocese. In this case, 2, 3 or 4 parishes may join together to celebrate Confirmation (joining together is ususally due to the time constraints of the Archbishop and aux. Bishop)

In our diocese there is a video that candidates are required to watch. I was allowed to use whatever sources I wanted to teach from. Personally, I like the St. Joseph Confirmation Book by Fr. Lovasik. It's a small but comprehensive book that includes:
The Instruction on Confirmation
Rite of Confirmation
Catechism for the Sacrament of Confirmation
Prayers in honor of the Holy Spirit & Jesus Christ
Responses at Mass
Highlights from the Gospels
Review of Catholic Doctrine
Duties of Catholics
Essential Prayers

I guess your first step is to ask your pastor what he requires, or what he and or the diocese will allow and go from there.

God Bless,
Melissa

just4books

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Confirmation Empty Re: Confirmation

Post  Catholicworks Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:32 pm

Dear Melissa,
do you mind if i ask what diocese you are in? i am in LA and all my children are confirmed, i was able to get them confirmed young, but i work with families across the country and i get asked a lot on what they can do, so i'm looking for suggestions. Thanks.
In Christ and Blessed Mother,
denise

Catholicworks

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-07-31

Back to top Go down

Confirmation Empty Re: Confirmation

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down