CATHSWAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone used a graphing calculator for algebra?

+2
dianndej
Deeann
6 posters

Go down

Has anyone used a graphing calculator for algebra? Empty Has anyone used a graphing calculator for algebra?

Post  Deeann Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:21 pm

Hi all. We just completed Teaching Textbooks Alg. 1 but were asked if we have experience using a graphing calculator by public school relative. Does anyone know if that's required in Alg. 2 or college. We did fine without one!!!

Thanks,
D in AZ
Deeann
Deeann

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used a graphing calculator for algebra? Empty Has anyone used a graphing calculator for algebra?

Post  dianndej Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:16 pm

As a teacher, I generally introduce graphing calculators in Algebra II, especially if the curriculum covers the trigonometric functions. However, I always teach my students how to do the problem first, then how to check their answer on the calculator.

I teach in two community colleges. Unfortunately, too many students are "calculator dependent". With the introduction of the TI 89, which can do so many things including integration, many students don't want to do any of the work on their own - which I do not allow. pirat

Diann

dianndej

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used a graphing calculator for algebra? Empty Re: Has anyone used a graphing calculator for algebra?

Post  ojmom Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:08 pm

You could do most of Algebra 2 without one, but after that you have to have one and be able to use it correctly (Trig, Pre-Calculus & Calculus). With the exception of students taking low level math courses at a community college, colleges would expect students to be proficient in using a graphing calculator.

ojmom

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used a graphing calculator for algebra? Empty Graphing Calculator

Post  dianndej Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:56 pm

With the exception of students taking low level math courses at a community college, colleges would expect students to be proficient in using a graphing calculator.

I taught Calculus I and Calculus II last year at a community college. You are correct. All of my students were familiar with the graphing calculator. However, I am concerned that many students, while proficient on the calculator, do not have the understanding of the concepts used in actually solving the problem. I was very happy that the "powers that be" in my school required that the students work out most of the problems on the final.

Diann

dianndej

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used a graphing calculator for algebra? Empty Thanks- ? calculator tutorials

Post  Deeann Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:58 am

Thanks all. Is there a tutorial anyone would recommend? I haven't found one online. I know there's a booklet with the calculator but perhaps there's a cd somewhere.

Denise
Deeann
Deeann

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used a graphing calculator for algebra? Empty Graphing Calculator - Books

Post  dianndej Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:16 am

A friend of mine purchased one of the "for Dummies" books to help her use a TI 89 and she loved it. I know you can buy one of those books for the TI 83.

Also, Kolbe sells a book Algebra and Trigonometry Graphing Calculator Supplement , but I have never seen it.

Diann

dianndej

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used a graphing calculator for algebra? Empty Re: Has anyone used a graphing calculator for algebra?

Post  technmom Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:56 pm

If you are going to continue with Teaching Textbooks they have lessons for it in the Pre Calc class

technmom

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used a graphing calculator for algebra? Empty Graphing Calculators

Post  OLSWA Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:56 pm

08/23/08

I am a retired math and physics teacher. As an alternative to graphing calculators, I would have my students use Graphmatica. Graphmatica is a powerful, easy-to-use, equation plotter with numerical and calculus features. Graph Cartesian functions, relations, and inequalities, trigonometry functions and much more. It offers on-line help and demo files. In summary, a great tool for students of anything from high-school algebra through college calculus. It is a Free download.

You can find it at Graphmatica.com

As a graphing tool it is far superior to a graphing calculator, In my class room, students had access to a computer.

OLSWA

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-08-23

http://www.saintceciliaclassicalproductions.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Catherine Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:50 pm

I never used a graphing calculator in high school but was introduced to it this year when I started college. I found I was able to bypass all the prep. classes and go straight to Calculus. A lot of the other students who used graphing calculators in high school were lost when they could not use them on placement testing and did not understand how to do problems without them. I would leave using graphing calculators to the minimum and stick with a scientific calculator as long as possible.

Catherine

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://www.sgrtheater.faithweb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down