CATHSWAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Singapore Math

3 posters

Go down

Did you like the Singapore Math program?

Singapore Math Vote_lcap83%Singapore Math Vote_rcap 83% 
[ 5 ]
Singapore Math Vote_lcap17%Singapore Math Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 6

Singapore Math Empty Singapore Math

Post  gabriel_maddie Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:16 am

Hi, I have written an article on Singapore Math, and I would love some positive input on Singapore Math added to the site....actually, any input positive or negative would help. Smile My son started Singapore Math before he entered school, and in my opinion, it was one of the reasons he was able to skip a grade. He is not an overly smart child or anything, but I feel that this helped give him the tools to succeed. I am also trying to get our school to implement this math program, so any input would be appreciated. Thank you, in advance.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1716-Tampa-Bay-Education-Examiner

gabriel_maddie

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Singapore Math Empty Re: Singapore Math

Post  momgineerof6 Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:17 pm

I love Singapore Math Primary Mathmatics!!! I have also used NEM and although I continue to use it, I would not recommend it to most students- it seems to go too fast for most. We use NEM 1 as pre-algebra and the follow with Jacobs Algebra to reinforce. But for the PM, LOVE IT! It does a really good job of getting the students to know why they are doing what they are doing so they are more likely to remember it in the future. A recent thread of the Singapore math Yahoo group reinforced this idea in my mind. Someone wrote asking about how to solve some ratio problems. A very clear, pictoral explanation was given and many people wrote in to say "that makes so much since, why wasn't it taught to me that way? I could have understood ratios better if they had."

momgineerof6

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:10 am

I love Singapore. It does an excellent job of forming students to think mathematically, rather than just memorizing and applying formulas or (worse IMHO) memorizing explanations. In my experience, kids who use Singapore do not develop the two big American math fears (word problems and algebra), because they've been doing them both almost from the beginning. The one drawback of Singapore is that it doesn't have enough drill on the math facts, but that is easily remedied.

I also like the NEM series. My two oldest went straight from NEM 4A to pre-calculus. My 3rd is now in NEM 2. However, I can see that NEM might not be suited to a family that was less mathematically inclined than ours.

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down