CATHSWAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need advice on Science for multiple ages

+3
momgineerof6
grayfamily
tinyelvis
7 posters

Go down

Need advice on Science for multiple ages Empty Need advice on Science for multiple ages

Post  tinyelvis Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:01 pm

I have quite a few small children close in age (early elementary), and I want to teach science to them all together (rather than multiple lessons), modifying to fit the age. In other words, I don't want to teach a load of different science lessons! Hands-on and already put together are a big selling point for us. I am sure some of you are in my situation, and am wondering if anyone can offer any advice. Any programs that are set up for that very function?

Thank you!!

tinyelvis

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Need advice on Science for multiple ages Empty Re: Need advice on Science for multiple ages

Post  grayfamily Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:18 pm

Last year I used Apologia's Astronomy for my four boys, grades 7, 4, 3, and 1. I had the oldest one read the lesson aloud to his brothers. They did almost all the activities and experiments together. We also did the science notebook. I printed the blank notebook pages from the Apologia website for each child, and they all worked together on their notebooks. We all enjoyed the experience and learned a lot about astronomy. We are going to do Zoology 1 next year.

grayfamily

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Need advice on Science for multiple ages Empty Re: Need advice on Science for multiple ages

Post  momgineerof6 Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:25 pm

While I have not used it (due mainly to cost), I love the looks of NOEO science. They have two levels- k-3 and 4-6 so if all of yours fit in one age group, you can just teach it to all the kids. It is all put together with everything you need including science kits.

momgineerof6

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Need advice on Science for multiple ages Empty Simply Charlotte Mason: 106 Days of Creation Studies

Post  pmeilaen Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:43 pm

I used 106 Days of Creation Studies with my second grader and fourth grader last year and really liked it. You can read about it here: www.simplycharlottemason.com
You will need some additional resources but not very much prep time.

pmeilaen

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Need advice on Science for multiple ages Empty Science for multilevel help

Post  rodeanc Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:09 pm

I have five children (grades 8, 5, 3, 1 and preschool). Until this year I have used Science in a Nutshell kits for all of them at once. They have a variety of subjects and come in a kit with workbook (lab books) and all of the supplies needed for the experiments (sans a few standard things like paper towels and aluminum foil). They aren't necassarily christian but it hasn't been a problem with most of the subjects (ie. magnets, gears, levers, plants, systems of the body etc.). I have my older kids fill in all of the workbooks, my oldest does extra research and a paper and the younger children "help" with the experiments and verbally answer quesitons in a discussion form with the old children helping to articulate the results. This has been very useful as the kit is self contained and I'm not running around looking for the supplies. Often we finish off with a field trip related to the subject just to solidify the subject content. As my children respond to doing more than reading about, the kits are a good balance of reading, discussion and experimentation. They are sold through Delta Publishing but I usually buy the kits used on Ebay or the like. Rodean

rodeanc

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Need advice on Science for multiple ages Empty Dinah Zike

Post  MomB96 Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:36 pm

This year, I will be using Dinah Zike's Great Science Adventures books. I may only get through one of them if I do one lesson per week. There are tons of different subjects! I haven't decided between Plants or Sound and Light yet. Very Happy

The book includes mini-books that you copy and have the kids color and put together. You can do one book each, or switch who does the book each week. Or you can just put it together yourself. You read this book to the children, and then they keep it and create their own bookshelf of books on the topic. It is completely hands-on with lots of experiments and demonstrations. Most items, I have around the house already. It is laid out well, as far as I can tell.

HTH,
Sheri

MomB96

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Need advice on Science for multiple ages Empty Thanks!

Post  tinyelvis Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:16 am

Thank you for all the responses!

tinyelvis

Number of posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Need advice on Science for multiple ages Empty more on Apologia

Post  Marie Monsour Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:29 am

The first response talked about the Apologia elementary science Astronomy book. I have all four of those books, and love the format. They can be used with many different ages. Also, many don't know that you can buy a whole kit to go along with the book -- this helps to have everything on hand for the "hands on" experiments throughout the book. Someone was selling the Astronomy book and kit on Cathswap -- I found it -- here's the link: http://cathswap.heavenforum.org/fs-3rd-6th-grade-f3/astronomy-text-and-experiment-kit-t2827.htm

I was tempted to buy it but I already have the text! If the link doesn't work, the seller was knt2gthr -- you can search for her. Or you can look at the kits at www.creationsensation.com. God bless you with all your little ones!

Marie Monsour

Number of posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down